Monday, May 14, 2012

Airman Gillespie

Jake is now in the United States Air Force. On February 14, 2012 he left for Basic Military Training at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas. While there he earned his Expert Marksmanship ribbon (which unbeknownst to me, is a huge deal) and graduated with Honors. Earning all four ribbons, my man really stood out among, not only those in his flight, but of all the airman graduating there. I am so proud of my husband. He not only survived but passed with flying colors. He is so amazing.


We have temporarily been stationed at Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio while Jake attends technical school (School of Aerospace Medicine -Health and Safety). I have rented an apartment about fifteen minutes from the base. During the week Jake has to sleep in his dorm at the base but he is allowed to come home for the entire weekend and have dinner with us most week nights. It is actually working out pretty great. Since I don't get to see him everyday, when he does come home I make the special effort to have dinner cooked for him and make myself look pretty (I may even go as far as to shave my legs. Now that's real effort). Today was one of those days were Jake couldn't come home so I am happy to say that I stayed in my yoga pants and T-shirt all day and Jacob and I had left overs for dinner. 

Jake has received his official duty assignment. We will be stationed at Maxwell Air Force Base in Montgomery, Alabama. We report in August. 

(The photo was emailed to me by the missionary couple in Jake's ward at Lackland Air Force Base, It is from the first week of basic training. I can't believe I didn't take any pictures of our reunion with him. I guess I was too busy hugging and kissing him to remember the camera in my bag. I might also add that he looks really handsome in his fancy Blues, which I have seen him in exactly one time now. I really wish I had taken a video of the first few seconds that Jacob saw his Daddy again. Jake walked up to him in full uniform and Jacob (not phased at all by the difference in appearance) immediately ran into his arms exclaiming "DADDY!" and hugged and hugged and hugged him. Our baby boy wouldn't let go of him the whole weekend. He is such a Daddy's boy. I absolutely love it.)

1 comment:

  1. Annie is going to be so jealous. Evidently she wants to migrate south. She is thinking Atlanta, but Alabama is a lot closer to Atlanta than Utah Valley! So happy you guys are almost finished, Lanie!

    ReplyDelete