Thursday, May 10, 2012

A brief Step into the World of Single Parenting


On February 14th, Jake and I got onto different planes, at different airports, headed for different destinations. Little Jakey and I were headed to Florida to visit my family while Jake was off to Texas to start his BASIC MILITARY TRAINING. As we said goodbye, Jakey was screaming, Jake had tears running down his face and my entire face had gone splotchy and red. Two weeks proceeding this event, I had been on an emotional roller coaster, every moment filled with dread. As I carried Jakey back to the car after kissing Jake for the last time for two months, I kept telling myself "People do this all the time. I'm just as good as those people. I can be strong. I can do this... by myself?" GULP. On the airplane I made a pact with myself, I was not going to be miserable for two months. I just wasn't going to allow myself to do that. And you know what? I survived. Sure, I only got to talk to Jake once a week for 15 minutes. On the positive side Jake and I did something that has gone out of style in our technologically advanced world... we exchanged hand-written love letters. In many ways, the separation bonded us, made us grow closer. Most importantly though, it gave us both a stronger appreciation for one another. For two months, I was a single mother. Or I guess I should say, I had to walk in a single mother's shoes. I couldn't counsel with my husband and ask him his opinions. There was no strong arms around me at the end of the day assuring me that I'm a good mother.  (Granted I was living with my parents and was surrounded by wonderful people that I loved all day long. I feel so blessed that I was able to be with them). For two months I pretended to be tough and do you know what I found out about myself? I actually am kind of tough. I learned so much about myself those two months while Jake was away but may I also just say I AM SO HAPPY TO HAVE HIM BACK!

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite posts! Beautifully expressed, and I love love the idea of love letters!

    ReplyDelete